Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In Fortaleza

My hosts have been so won-der-ful !!! - recently Barbara and Emili, they made my trip whileworthy.
I arrived in Fortaleza yesterday, distance Natal - Fortaleza: 540 km, 8 hours on the bus, cost: 30 pounds. Rorix, my next host, picked me up from the bus station (although it wasn't easy - we were looking for each other for an hour). He took me to his family house where I met his sister, brother, parents and neighbours. They are great people and they all support the Couch Surfing project so much. They don't mind me staying with them for the whole week, including Easter. I sleep in Rorix's bed and he sleeps right above my head, in a hammock :)
Today he took me to two beautiful beaches in Caucaia, outside of the city. On the second beach I got angry with myself. I tried to swim but the waves were so big, almost two meters high. Some Brazilians showed me how to brave the waves, you just dive under them, they pass above you and you are ok. I tried to do it but every time I saw a huge wave I chickened out and I run to the shore as quickly as I could... In the picture with a small "Rysiaczku" (dog) I found on the beach.
I understood that in Brazil beaches are very important, they are like main squares, churches or museums in Europe. Always when I arrive to a city or town the first thing my hosts recomend to see are beaches, all the rest of the city is irrelevant.