Monday, March 8, 2010

I went to the beach yesterday evening and lay down in a hammock, as many times before. This time, one end of the hammock was not tight properly to the wooden wall and it untangled. While I was landing on my back, the untangled end of the hammock pulled a television. The TV landed on my head. I felt nothing, I just suddenly saw a lot of blood on my belly and people running towards me. I was immediately taken to a hospital where a doctor did sew up my forehead. I was very lucky that the TV did not crush my face. There was a long que to see the doctor but he decided to see me first. There was a man in the que with his leg in a bandage and it was all red, and there was a constant stream of blood coming out of the bandage. He got really angry when the doctor decided to see me first, he started shouting, came to the operating room and I think he wanted to hit either me or the doctor. A nurse called about ten police officers and they calmed him down. Well, I did understand him and I even wanted to say sorry - I was a foreigner with blood on the face and he was "only" a Brazilian with a bleeding leg...
The doctor told me to do a head scan today but I am feeling all right so I am going to skip it - anything but going to a hospital again!! - although the doctor and the nurse were lovely.
I can't believe it... in five weeks of my travel I saw shooting, killing, fainted in a toilet and got my head hit by a TV. Believe me or not, yesterday I started appreciating my life - I mean I reeeally started appreciating my life. The television could have killed me.
Now some positive news for a change. I live with Marcelo and I have a beautiful room with a big balcony, overlooking the sea. The whole house is lovely and it is located one minute from the most beautiful beach in Salvador, called Praia do Flamengo.
Salvador used to be a capital of Brazil, then they moved it to Rio de Janeiro and from 1960 Brasilia became the capital of the country. Salvador is the capital of Bahia region (Porto Seguro belongs to Bahia as well but Rio belongs to Rio de Janeiro region).
Two days ago I went to the beach with Marcelo and Barbara, and I met his friend who is a surfing instructor. When he found out that I don't have a boyfriend, he became very interested in showing me how to surf :) So I had a proper surfing lesson plus a wave management lesson (the waves are so big here... almost two meters high). I loved it but I can't do it any more because the TV wound on my head has to be dry :( Also no dancing for a week because if I even frown, the blood starts flowing on my face.
I think I am still in shock after the accident, and a little bit angry. Enough is enough!!! - not bad stories any more!!