Thursday, March 11, 2010

The surfing instructor, Marquin, lives in a small hut on the beach, called lovely: barraca do surf. There is electicity in the hut and it has a landline but apart from this everything is very basic. He takes shower on the beach (using soap, shampoo et cetera.. which all get in the sand) and god knows what he eats (the fridge is broken). Not much I think as he doesn't have much money I suppose. The hut is a surfboard rentals and I have never seen anyone renting his boards. It is very dirty inside; he invites me there and I accept his invitations because he is a great guy. I have been there several times - I was so happy to have all the vaccinations done in London!! This is a horrible thing to say but Brazil is a very dirty country and when you live on the beach, it is inevitable that there is sand and dirt in your house (sorry, hut... :)).
In the picture: place where we go to eat acaraje', apparently the best one in Salvador.
I don't see my host Marcelo at all. He works a lot and I am out at night. Just once he took me to a surfboard "factory"; I was pleased to hear that they stopped using polyester to make the boards as polyester produces harmful for the environment gases.