Monday, March 15, 2010

In Recife

Before I came to Brazil, I never heard about Recife, and it's a big (and apparently very dangerous...) city with good means of transport. I arrived here by another extremely comfortable bus from Salvador. Distance: 950 km, 13 hours by bus, cost: 50 pounds. It was very cold on the bus, I had to put on two jumpers, jeans, jacket and socks, plus they give you a warm blanket on the bus.
One thing I forgot to say about Salvador is that 70% of its habitants is black, and in Recife you can see some white faces again :) The city is very pleasant, smaller than Rio or Salvador but nice. If only they painted some of the buildings, it would be beautiful.
I live with Barbara and her two gay flatmates Thiago and Daniele in a district called Graças. The guys are all great. Barbara gave me a map of Recife, we sat down for an hour and she told me what I should visit.
In the picture: a very relaxing night out with people from Couch Surfing (Barbara in the red top).