Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Natal

Yesterday afternoon Geraldo left for Barcelona (and then London) so I phoned Danielle who I had been corresponding with for several weeks and she invited me to a flamenco class. I jumped in a taxi because it was already late and I arrived in Danielle's house in a district called Ipsep. We did the class which was a little bit boring for me (flamenco is not lambada...) but it was a great experience and we had fun as the teacher tried to explain the flamenco steps to me in Portugese... (in the picture Danielle on the right, with her teacher). After the class I went to Danielle's house for a dinner and then she gave me lift back to Graças (where I lived in Recife). She is a beautiful 33-year old Brazilian girl and still single!! I thought it was not possible to find a beautiful single girl in Brazil, it is normal for London but I thought not here.
I had a great time with her however (why not?...) I got diarrea and suffered a lot when I got home (the cramps started before we had dinner). The next day I woke up in pain caused by cramps but I was determined to get to Natal. So... here I am!! The distance from Recife to Natal is 297 km, 4.5 hours by bus, cost: 23 pounds. The bus was as comfortable as always and it was not too cold this time. I did fall asleep as soon as I got on the bus and I woke up when we were approaching Natal bus station... very convenient.
I live with my host Emili now in a very big and beautiful house. She works for the University of Natal (doing administration job) which is situated ten minutes from her home.
Her friends came over, we had dinner and some interesting conversations. For example, one of her friends works for a television company (we watched her first on TV and then she showed up in the house!!). Journalists and presenters in Brazil can't work more than six hours a day and they earn little money so many of them have another job (one would think: it is a glamorous job to be a TV presenter but the reality here is different).
Regarding my health, I feel very weak. I force myself to eat proper meals as with this weather I don't feel like eating at all. I just hope I will not faint somewhere in the street and hit my head again.