Monday, March 1, 2010

I couldn't sleep well in the first days of my stay in Porto Seguro (too much excitement) so Geraldo gave me a sleeping pill, chemical but not strong (0.25 mg). I sleep very well now (and I took just this one pill) but he takes too many of them and much stronger that the one I had (1 or 2 mg). He lived in London for five years, then he came back to Porto Seguro eight months ago and later this month he is going to London again. He is selling his motorbike and the cars he owns, and he wants to open a business in London, and start a new life. He says that he is so stressed about it that he has bad dreams or he wakes up at night and he can't sleep for hours. I understand him very well. Before my trip to South America I was waking up in the morning and thinking: what the hell I am doing? - giving up all my life for this trip. I was very stressed but stayed focused on the plan. Of course, now I don't regret my decision at all, but it was so hard to resign, sell the car, say goodby to friends etc. Unfortunately Geraldo is not coping with the stress as well as I did. He takes the pill and he claims that not only doesn't he wake up at night but also when he wakes up in the morning he feels nothing, the pill kills all the stress.
I spoke to him today and told him about my experience, and that he has to stop taking the pills. He says he knows that but sometimes it is irresistible.
This morning he was too doped to give me a lift to the internet cafe' so he gave me his old car to drive. A new experience for me - driving in Brazil :) I drove his new car before but only at night when it was quiet on the roads and I also drove buggy (on the picture) - a very old jeep, it's actually a nightmare to drive it but a lot of fun too :)
I didn't realise how bad the roads are in Porto Seguro until I started driving, you have to be so careful not to damage the car on the big holes. There is no asphalt in the town, all the roads are made of big, irregular stones.