Monday, March 29, 2010

Natal in English means "christmas" and you can see a huge artificial christmas tree in the city (all year round) and also Three Wise Men and the star of Bethlehem. Natal is the capital of Rio Grande do Norte region.
On Saturday I went to Centro Storico. I have to say it didn't make any special impression on me and all the cafes, shops and museums were closed (not that I would go to museums :)) and the place was isolated. On Saturdays all the people go to the shopping centres or beaches.  However, I had a nice conversation with two bus drivers (in Portugese) who showed me some historical places from the bus. They were also very interested in finding out some information about Poland (as many people here, they didn't know where it was on the map).
In the evening Zaza came again to pick me up, this time with seven people in his car. So we were eight people in the car and we went to a samba club called Espaco21. I was disappointed that it wasn't a forro' place but as soon as I entered the place I felt the positive atmosphere and I actually enjoyed myself a lot. I finally got the samba step and I was shaking my bum all the night. Then a guy asked me for a dance, he was a good dancer of samba de gafieira. I never danced it before but I saw people dancing in Rio so I tried to copy the steps. When we finished dancing, people were asking me if I was a teacher of samba de gafieira ha ha ha....
Yesterday Emili, Zaza and Vivien (with her little daughter Fernanda) took me to a park where you can see the biggest in the world cashew tree (in the picture). Amazing... I loved it:
http://www.natal-brazil.com/entertainment/cashew-tree.html
Then we went to a bar where I had the best tapioka (traditonal food) in the city, with prawns. The bar was on the beach and because of the full moon period, the tide was high and the waves were intruding the bar. It was so beautiful and magic that in this moment I understood why I am going to miss Brazil when I am back in London.
The guys also showed me a place where years ago Brazil used to launch rockets into Space.
In the evening Zaza picked me up again and we went to another samba place called Sancho Pub, where I met the same people I danced with on Saturday. It was another great night and some of Zaza's friends were teaching me again how to dance samba... so it was a lot of shaking involved again :)
There was also a concert of a very popular samba band in Brazil, called Catinguele. I liked the group a lot.
I have to say I miss lambada zouk like crazy... I can write poems about it. I am making plans to come back to Porto Seguro, either in two weeks or in December for the lambada zouk congress.
I have a high expectation for Fortaleza where I am going tomorrow. I have been corresponding with a tango teacher who promised to take me to many good dancing clubs.
Today I have been to Pipa, 60 km south from Natal. It is a nice town with a beautiful beach and cliffs, however no better than the wonderful Dover cliffs :)