Monday, June 14, 2010

Yesterday Silvia took me on a wonderful car trip to her parents' house outside of the city. They have a flat in Medellin where I went on the first day I met Silvia, as she wanted to introduce me to the parents. They also own a lot of land, amazing trees and plants, and four beautiful small houses on the land (and also a huge white rabit which is a family pet. He is like a dog, I adore him). Before visiting her parents we went to a town called San Antonio de Pereira (in the picture, with Silvia). It is a nice little town where I tried a lot of local food: chorizo with arepa, corn cakes, caramel cake and a typical sweet bar made of milk (I ate too much...). I also tried some sweets made of sugar and cow's leg, called gelatina de pata. Very tasty!!
http://www.colombianews.tv/news/91909-gelatina-de-pata
Colombian news: four solders who were kidnapped 12 years ago by guerrilla, were found today. They were kept in the jungle, closely chained to each other (so it was really difficult to run away) and now they came back home after all these years in the capture. The media don't say how they were rescued but it is clear that a lot of killings were involved in the rescue plan. I was talking to Silvia about it - unfortunately to stop the killings, a lot of killings must be done in this country...
http://www.bullfax.com/?q=node-colombia-rescues-farc-hostages-held-12-years
On the way back to Medellin we were talking about the most famous Colombian mafioso, called Pablo Escobar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Escobar

I am travelling to Bogota' today. My original plan was to stay two months in the city, rent a room near a good salsa club and attend a school to learn Spanish. However, everyone tells me that it is very cold in Bogota' so I am not staying there for a long time. I am going to do all the things I planned in Cali instead, or if I don't like Cali, I will be back in Medellin. I love Medellin - it is very beautiful and there is a really good salsa club. I was also very lucky with my hosts here, and with other people I met.