Sunday, June 13, 2010

I was dancing so much last night!!!... Alex picked me up in the evening and we went to Parque Lleras in El Poblado where we met my friend Tatiana from Couch Surfing and her friends. Parque Lleras is a place with many bars and restaurants. It is a very beautiful place but with many discos for young people and if there is salsa music somewhere, people just drink and don't dance. Tatiana and her friends decided to go to a disco and Alex wanted to join them so I took a taxi and I went to a salsa club called Rumbantana. It is a very nice place, with good vibe and beautiful pictures on the walls (in the picture). However, it is small and because of a lot of reagge people who go there, it doesn't match my personality (I am not a reagge type and I don't like Cuban salsa). I stayed there for an hour, had a good look at the place, had a chat with the bar tender and then I took a taxi to El Suave, my (and gangs) favourite place for dancing in Medellin.
When I arrived in the place, men understood that I was on my own so I was constantly asked for a dance, to the point that I got very tired after few hours of dancing (especially my hips and legs, the most important body parts in Colombian salsa) so I decided to observe people instead. Oh my god, Colombian salsa is soooo sexy.... and the music is soooo beautiful... I will miss this in London so much. There are good Colombian clubs in London but the music is lighter, here in El Suave it is "heavy" traditional Colombian salsa.
Apparently there is another good salsa club in Medellin called Tibiri, not far from Rumbantana, but I just don't care any more - El Suave is the best!!

Before I went out in the evening, I met Jesus from Couch Surfing for lunch and at the same time we were watching the match: England - USA. I had a great time with him, he loves salsa too. I realised that it will be really hard for me to watch the World Cup football matches and focus on them as I will be talking to people at the same time. I love World Cup and I love talking to people too... It is not the same that watching matches with friends I have known for years...
Jesus and I spoke a lot about security in Colombia (my favourite subject here) and about Brazil. He is an architect and he works with people from favelas so he had some very interesting stories to tell. He has a lot of contact with sicarios (assasins) from the poor communities.
Sicarios