Friday, June 4, 2010

In Medellin

Distance Cartagena - Medellin: 703 km, 12 hours on the bus, cost: 35 pounds.
The bus wasn't as comfortable as the ones I was travelling on in Brazil or Venezuela but at least it wasn't freezing cold on the bus. Therefore, I didn't have to argue with the drivers or pretend that I would have to go to a hospital because of the cold. They were speeding and driving like crazy but I managed to fell asleep. When I woke up I looked through the window and what I saw was spectacular. We were in the mountains (Andes), very high, I could see the clouds and lights of small towns down the mountain. There were lightnings every few minutes but without thunder or rain. They were lightening everything around (and no, I was not dreaming...). This phenomenon is very common in South America, I can see it almost every night. Anyway, when I looked through the window I understood that the road was very dangerous. It was narrow, with holes and if something went wrong we would have flown about 2000 meters down the mountain. Suddenly I remembered that many Colombians in London told me that it is much safer to travel by plane in this part of the country. Well, it was too late and anyway, I didn't regret it.
I couldn't sleep any more though, I was telepathically helping the driver to carry on safely. On the other hand, there are several buses a day from Cartagena to Medellin and no serious accident happened in recent years.

I live with my first host in Medellin, Leider, in a very small studio flat, with no kitchen and the toilet doesn't have a door. I just arrived at 7 am this morning and I am wondering how you do your business in the toilet, probably the other person has to leave the flat ha ha ha... But it doesn't matter, the guy is lovely.
Here are my pictures from Cartagena:
Cartagena