Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bogota' is situated on 2,640 meters above the sea level and I can confirm... it is cold here. On avarage 14 degrees Celsius which in London means nice weather but after four and a half months spent in the temperature of 35 - 45 degrees which I really like, I feel cold here. In London I have nice dresses, shoes and bags so when it is cold I put something nice on and I feel warm and good. Here I have just one pair of jeans (I hate wearing trousers) so... I will be leaving Bogota' soon :) I also decided to avoid some other cold places in South America e.g. Patagonia, and stay only in valleys of Equador, Peru' and Bolivia.
Yesterday I met Oscar from Couch Surfing, we spent six hours in the city centre. My feelings towards Bogota' are mixed. When I was on the bus to meet Oscar I thought the city was ugly (horrible grey buildings) and smelly with some dodgy people in the streets. But then we went to some really nice places, for example Plaza de Bolivar (in the picture, and behind me the cathedral). Oscar also walked me home all the way, in Calle 7. I was really impressed by how the city is developed; it has a lot of tall and beautiful buildings, banks and nice parks. It is very clean too. However, there is no salsa music everywhere like in other cities and this is a big big big disadvantage.
We had some traditional food in a cafe' where I noticed dry ants for sale. I wanted to buy and eat them but they were too expensive, I am hoping to find a place where I can get them cheaper.
Oscar also showed me the biggest in South America indoor climbing wall. He works there as an instructor so I might do some climbing later in the week.
Here are my pictures from astonishing Medellin:
Medellin