Monday, June 21, 2010

On Saturday I met Michal, a Polish guy who is travelling in Colombia and who contacted me through the Couch Surfing website. We met by the cathedral and then we walked to the cable car which took us to Monserrate, a mountain dominating the city. It raises to 3,152 meters above the sea level and there are a church and a shrine on the top. The view was really great (in the picture with Michal) but the view in Medellin was much better. We were talking for a couple of hours and then a funny situation happened to us. We were sitting on a wall by the church when a woman with a microphone and a man with a camera approached us. They were from RCN TV and they were shooting a programme about Colombia. They asked us to say something to the camera. Without thinking much I said that I liked Medellin more than Bogota' (uuuuups!!...). The women suddenly shouted "my throat, my throat, there is something wrong with my throat, stop the shooting!!...). I asked "was it something wrong with my answer?". The woman said that it was and she asked me to say to the camera that I was enjoying myself on Monserrate. So we repeated the scene ha ha ha... and I said that the view was amazing :)
I felt that the woman tried not to talk to me much any more as I could say something inappropriate ha ha ha... She was really serious, Michal and I were joking a lot but she didn't understand our jokes.
http://www.colombianews.tv/news/61910-liz-visits-monserrate
Afterwards I came back home and Michal went to the Polish embassy to vote for a new president as there were elections in Poland on Sunday. I didn't register to vote and anyway, I don't know much about the Polish politics any more. Result of the Colombian elections which also took place yesterday: Santos won with the majority of votes (about 70 %). Santos is on Uribe's side therefore the country is going to carry on the security programmes (and killing guerilla). Mockus wanted to develop education projects but obviously people in Colombia feel that security is still more important than education.

In the evening I had a choice of two parties so I chose the closer one. I met Adriana, Barbara and some other Couch Surfing people at the party. I didn't like the place because it was small and dark so after an hour I decided to go to the second party where Oscar and Keith were waiting for me. It was far away, in the north part of the city so I took a taxi. Taxi drivers have a bad reputation in Bogota' - they are considered dangerous and cheating foreign customers. I take taxi very often here as it is cheap and nothing bad has happened to me - all the taxi drivers have been nice, talkative and honest.
I met Oscar in front of the building - he was already drunk but happy, as all other people at the party. Keith's flat is beautiful and as soon as I arrived, I started dancing with Oscar and others.
I danced a lot, drank a lot (aguardiente) and smoked a lot of cigarettes (I am a non-smoker) and generally it was one huge madness. We were taking some inappropriate pictures :), talking about many important and serious subjects, shouting and laughing loudly. At one point the doorman phoned and said that if we didn't stop shouting, the neighbours were going to call the police. I was surprised - in Colombia???... Keith said that this district was different, there were many rich, posh and snob people living in these flats. So we calmed down (although it was difficult) and an hour later we went to bed... or rather to the carpet ha ha ha, people were sleeping wherever it was possible :)
In the morning Oscar, his friend, Keith and I went to a local market where we tried a lot of traditional and cheap food - I loved it. Then the guys went to vote for a president and I came back home to get some sleep. The weather was really bad - it was raining heavily all the day.
I had a wonderful weekend and it took me by surprise - I didn't think I would do any dancing and instead I did a lot. Sometimes I don't want my South American adventure to finish....