Friday, June 11, 2010

Yesterday I went to a Couch Surfing meeting in a pub called Canciello (in the picture Henry, organiser of the meeting). Silvia didn't want to come with me as she said that people were too young in the group. She was right. Also, the music was very loud which I don't like when I talk to people. I stayed there for about three hours, had a chat with almost everyone and I came back home. Some of the people were going to another place, a disco. They wanted me to go with them but it wasn't a salsa place. I had nice time but I wish it was a different venue and a wider variety of people.
This morning Silvia showed me some documentaries she made about the sea life. She is a diver so she made films about deterioration of the sea natural ecosystems, diseases of the corals and unneccessary killing of the fish while fishing for shrimps. All this caused by pollution, global warming, tourists and.... greed for money. Very interesting documentaries which were shown on TV in Colombia.
We also talked about reducing amount of cars in Medellin. The scheme has been introduced in Sao Paolo and it will possibly be introduced in Recife in Brazil too, as there is a big problem with traffic. According to the scheme in Medellin, Silvia can't drive eight hours a week, spreaded in four hours two days a week. For her it is Wednesday and Friday afternoon, for other people other days. Cab drivers can't drive one whole day a fortnight. I think this scheme is a fantastic idea and should be introduced in London too.
We were also talking about the elections for a new president. She will vote for Mockus as she said that Santos does many indecent things to get the votes. Apparently he tells people (not directly of course!) that they will loose their jobs if they don't vote for him.
And the last, lighter subject: a great Colombian singer Huanes was born and lives in Medellin. I already knew his songs in London and I like them very much. The people in Medellin love him however they don't like Shakira. When her concert is organised in the city, not many people buy the tickets.