Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yesterday I had a great day. I took a cable car in two places in Medellin: in Estacion San Javier and in Estacion Acevedo. The cable cars are free means of public transport. It is the same in Caracas - so many similarities! The first one in Medellin takes you to a favela (favelas are called "comunas" here) which you can see in the picture. The second one takes you first to a favela and then to a national park (very beautiful but it was cold...). Both cable car systems are great, clean and comfortable, and the view from them is fantastic. Everyone who comes to Medellin should take a cable car in those two places, it is an unforgettable experience.
My observation is that these favelas in Medellin are much more sophisticated than those in Brazil. They are much cleaner and they have playgrounds and schools. Some houses are really nice although they are located right by houses which are falling apart.
At night we went to El Suave again (my favourite salsa place): Silvia, Farid and Alex from Couch Surfing, Silvia's friend and I. I was dancing a lot to the pure Colombian salsa music, I loved it. So much hip movement (hmmm...the men impressed me again) and legs workout, the rest of the body stays firm.
Apparently El Suave is a place where many gang members come. This was the reason why other Silvia's friends didn't want to join us. I think... well, gang members want to dance too... as long as there is no trouble in the place, I don't really mind. It is very possible that I danced with some gangsters and... they were great dancers :)
At 2 am I had an argument with Alex. Silvia and others went home early. Alex wanted to go home too but I wanted to stay untill the end. Alex got really worried about me and he said that I had to go with him as he promised Silvia that he would give me a lift home. I said "no way". He said "Aga, you are not in Europe, you are in Colombia". For a second I thought "Wow.... I am really in Colombia!!!" and then I said again "I am not going with you". He was very persistent and worried, sooo worried that eventually I agreed to leave with him but only if we stayed in the club for a little bit longer. He accepted the deal and we left at 3 am (the club closes at 4). In the morning I talked to Silvia about it. She said that I could have stayed on my own although it was good that he gave me a lift. She suspects that Alex, who has been living in Spain for 7 years, still thinks that the very dangerous Colombia from before is the same Colombia now. He doesn't realise how much it has changed in in the last decade and that it is safer now.