Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Today we visited the historic centre of Cartagena (Chloe' and I - we travelled to Cartagena together). It is very small so you can do a tour in couple of hours, if you don't want to do shopping or to visit museums. The town looks like Venice in Italy (without canals but with balconies in every house) - very beautiful and also full of history... Really fantastic place, no wonder that everyone comes to Cartagena. There is a Bolivar Square of course (many squares in South America are called after the liberator) and also San Pedro Claver Square. He was a Jesuit fighting against slavery and helping slaves to have a better life.
Our observation was that pigeons are all the same in all the parts of the world. They love town squares and they are the same nuisance everywhere.
Then we went to see a castle (Castillo San Felipe de Barajas), well, fortress really because it is too ugly to be called a castle (in the picture). However, there is a great view from it.
Before we went out this morning I had a strange Couch Surfing experience. I met a guy via the website, I thought we would go for a drink or that he would show us the town. Instead, he was insisting all the time that we move to a cheaper hotel which I went to see (I had to see it as it was cheaper!!... :)). It appeared that the hotel was a property of his family, it was dirty and the toilet didn't have a door. Once I said that we preferred our hotel, he wasn't interested in meeting us again any more. When I came back to our hotel where Chloe' was waiting for me, she got really furious because the Couch Surfing objective is to help people for free and not to make money from it.
This night I am going to check out a salsa club and tomorrow night I am leaving to Medellin.