Friday, June 25, 2010

In Cartago

It is hot again in Cartago!! Huuuurrah!!!
I arrived in Cartago today as yesterday I missed my bus. Oscar invited me for a lunch again and I left his house too late. I phoned Mauricio, the guy who picked me up from the bus station on the day I arrived in Bogota', and I asked him if he could host me for one night as he lives ten minutes from the bus station. He said it was no problem at all. Not only had I a nice room in his beautiful flat but he also took me and Paul (his American friend with family roots in Korea) out to a district called Primero de Mayo. If not Mauricio, we would have never seen this place as tourists don't go there - it is in the south part of the city and it is considered dangerous. In the north part of Bogota' there are mainly offices and houses of rich people (where I went to the parties on Friday and Saturday).
We had a great night out. The district is kind of a red district in Paris, Amsterdam or Hamburg - just that here people try to physically drag you inside the bars or clubs. It was amazing and annoying at the same time. Eventually we chose one bar to have a drink (in the picture). The music was great and Mauricio showed off his dancing skills :) I was also teaching Paul how to move his bottom to dance well. We had a lot of fun and laugh and I didn't regret at all that I missed my bus.
What do I think about Bogota'? - I like it. It is big and crowded but a lot of nice things happened to me in the city. It is beautiful, I met a lot of great people and if not the horrible weather, I would stay longer.

I am in Cartago now. Distance Bogota' - Pereira 250 km, 9 hours on the bus, cost: 14 pounds (I had to change once in Armenia). The view from the bus was great - mountains, waterfalls, villages and towns. At one point our bus had an accident. A car behind us didn't break in time and it hit the back of the bus, making a small damage to the bus and a huge damage to the car. I was afraid that we would have to wait for few hours because of the accident but luckily we moved on after 20 minutes.
Fernando picked me up in Pereira, it is so good to see him again. He is doing very well, he has own business and a new girlfriend. He buys leather, makes bags, belts and wallets in his small factory. Then he sells them in his shops in Cartago and Pereira, and he loves his job. He was single for three years and two months ago he met a girl. He looks very happy, I am so glad to see this!!
When we arrived home I met Fernando's family. His mum lost one leg in an accident 15 years ago. Fernando's car broke down so he stopped on a side of the road and another car hit it from behind, crushing mum's leg.
Fernando's nieces Sofia and Carolina talk to me all the time. I wish I was so brave when I was 5 and 8 years old... Well, I can learn some more Spanish as the family doesn't speak a word of English :)
My pictures from Bogota':
Bogota'