Thursday, June 10, 2010

On Tuesday I went to the city centre with Carolina from Argentina and Sirin from France. Our main target was Plaza Botero, a square where you can see sculptures of fat people made by a very famous Colombian artist Fernando Botero. The sculptures have small hands, noses, eyes, and hmmm... other parts (men) but really big bottoms and legs (in the picture. Errr.... behind me!).
http://www.editionsculptures.co.uk/en/page/maker-botero/fernando_botero.html
Then we went to a salsa place called El Eslabon Perdido. The music was great but the place was very small and all the men I danced with did smell externally and internally (when they talked), which I immensely disliked. Men, look after yourself a little bit, expecially when go to a social event!!!
Yesterday I moved in with my second host in Medellin, Silvia. Leider left Medellin this morning to get to a communion of his daughter in Cali.
Silvia lives very close to the city centre, in a beautiful flat on the 15th floor. The view from the flat is just amazing. Well, Medellin is amazing. I said before that Cartagena was the most beautiful place I had seen in my trip but it is not truth. Cartagena is unique but it doesn't have parks or mountains around, and it doesn't have any special vibe either (apart from the mass tourism vibe...). My favourite cities so far are Caracas in Venezuela and Medellin. They are very similar actually, both surrounded by mountains, just that Caracas is bigger and it is close to the sea. Medellin is an inland city, few hours away from the coast. The temperature here is absolutely perfect: it is not hot like in Caracas and not cold, just perfect all year round (20 - 30 degrees). I could live in Medellin (and in Caracas) if not the job situation in the whole country (well, continent). People don't have jobs or they earn little money.
Silvia works for few television channels. She also teaches at University how to make TV programmes. She produces films, shows, arranges interviews and everything else, including the schedule of TV programmes.

Two strange things happened on the way to Silvia's flat yesterday. First one when I was walking with Carolina and Sirin to the tube station. Carolina slipped on oil which was spilt on the road, she fell down and twisted her wrist (it wasn't funny at all...). Then, when I was very close to Silvia's flat, I didn't notice that they put a new asphalt on the road and it was still hot. I stepped into it... and my flip flops glued to the asphalt in the middle of the road. Luckily the road was still closed so there were no cars. I could not move and with my big rucksack and two bags it must have looked really hillarious - me trying to cross the road but my feet didn't want to move. Eventually a man noticed me struggling, he approached me in proper big shoes and dragged me to the other side of the road, ripping my flip flops into pieces... I arrived in Silvia's flat barefoot.