Sunday, December 12, 2010

The accent and pronunciation of the language in Argentina is very different than in other Spanish speaking countries. It's because of a strong Brazilian influence, not only on the language but also music or food.
Yesterday in the afternoon I took a train to Tigre, a town by the Tigre river. I was warned to be careful on the train, and indeed it was filthy and filled with some dodgy, dirty people. The first time in Argentina I saw ugly districts from the train, on the way to the town. It takes about 30 minutes to get to Tigre, when I arrived I had a walk around but there was nothing to see. I booked an hour boat trip on the river (in the picture: the starting point), which was nice. The river is narrow, there are many boats overtaking one another and a lot of holiday houses on both sides of the river. It must be lovely to spend a weekend by the river, although I wouldn't like so many boats passing in front of  my nose while I am having rest.
At night Bruno's friends came over and they made sushi, it was delicious. His friends are nice but they don't talk to me. I think they are shy and they don't know how to do it. Maybe it's just me who can talk to anyone anytime and about anything. The guys talk between them, as if I was not there. If I say something, they always listen carefully, reply, explain... and then start talking between them again, and I feel eliminated from the conversation.