Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yesterday I took teleferico (cable car) to Cruz Loma which is a part of the Pichincha mountain and volcano complex. On the way to the place I had a chat with the taxi driver about music, dance and the city. When I was leaving the taxi, he gave me his CD we were just listening to, with bachata music. I was so touched by this gesture!
The cable car in Quito is quite different than the one I took in Caracas or Medellin - it does more than 1000 meters in about 15 minutes so it is incredibly steep. It gets to 4100 meters above the sea level, from Quito's altitude of 3016 meters. You can see planes flying by the mountain.
I went for a walk on the top however not too far - I was warned that armed robberies happen in the place. After my previous experiences I understand that unfortunately I can't do everything I want to do in South America. Everywhere I go I am limited because of the safety issues.
The view from Cruz Loma is amazing - Quito is spread out over a large area and it seems to be well developed. Already on my first day in the city I understood that it looks European, with many foreign restaurants and international companies. Actually it surprised me a lot. Before I came here I immagined the city as an underdeveloped and isolated from the rest of the world place. I like Quito very much.
Later in the evening I met Luis from Couch Surfing. We went for a walk in the beautiful historic centre. An interesting information: on 18th of September 1978 both historic centres of Quito and Cracow in Poland were declared the first Unesco world heritage cities.