Thursday, September 23, 2010

I woke up this morning and before I opened my eyes, I was not sure if I was in London, Poland or Cali. When I had a look at my room I still didn't remeber where I was, five seconds later I realised I was in Quito. This happens quite often in my trip.

I like Quito so far. It is clean and sunny during the day however there is no salsa music on the buses, just some sad love songs. I already miss Cali for this reason.
I spoke to few people from Couch Surfing in the morning. I met a very nice lady on the bus with whom I had a long conversation (and she insisted on paying for my bus ticket...) and I met up with Fabian and his lovely dog. We went to a handcrafts market as I needed to buy a warm jumper. The market was the most amazing one I have seen in my trip. I am usually never interested in buying anything but this market was so colourful and beautiful that I couldn't leave it without buying something.
Then Fabian showed me some nice places in Quito (in the picture) and we had a coffee. He is a photographer, he published seven photography books. Recently he returned from a motorcycle trip around South America. He did 24,000 kilometers alone on the motorbike!!! - starting in Quito, going to Peru, down to the very south of Argentina and coming back to Quito through Brazil. His motorbike broke down four times and he had some other adventures on his way. I saw the amazing pictures, he is going to publish them soon.

The temperature in Quito is not that bad and once I have the warm jumper, I feel good. I need to buy gloves too because my hands are always cold. During the day it is around 20 degrees celcius but at night it becomes cold and you have to wrap up. Quito has this atmosphere of a mountain ski resort - there is a thick fog in the evening and at night, it is cold so people go to bars to have a hot drink. The streets are hilly and beautiful.
Here is my last batch of pictures from Cali:
Cali 7