Thursday, September 9, 2010

Before I leave Cali, I want to go to Buenaventura on the Pacific coast to see whales - August and September are the best months to go whale watching.
A little economy and politics lesson: Buenaventura is a small city with some oil wells. Apparently Colombia has a lot of oil however I was told that Colombians don't have the skills to extract the oil on a big scale, and they also don't have money to built a proper platform. Therefore they just extract little oil to cater for the country so there is no need to buy it from Venezuela. Hmmm... at the present conflict they wouldn't get anything or it would be very pricy I suppose....
United States wanted to build a sea platform to extract the oil for themselves, and to pay Colombia for this activity. Colombia didn't agree, fearing that the US would ask for more and more space within time. At the moment the US buys oil from Venezuela as it is much cheaper than from the Arabic countries. The US tried to get involved in the Colombian - Venezuelan conflict but Chavez told them that if they interfere, US will not get oil any more. So they sent Chavez a "sincere apology" and they keep quiet.
http://www.agenciadenoticias.unal.edu.co/nc/detalle/article/56-billion-barrels-of-petroleum-underneath-colombians-feet/

On Tuesday we went to a jazz concert of a famous group from Cali called 11:11. They played latin jazz and I liked the concert a lot.
Yesterday we went to a salsa club called El Habanero, in a district called Alameda, very close to where I do voluntary work. The club was small but beautiful. Unfortunately the salsa music was old and if not me nagging DJ to play some salsa hits, everyone would have got bored. Instead, when people heard the hits, they occupated the dance floor straight away (like in the picture :)). In my opinion (and my friends agreed with me) El Habanero is good for older people, couples or those who want to get drunk in a nice environment. Otherwise it is a no no.