Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I was going to visit Esmeraldas on the north coast of Ecuador but many people from Quito advised me to avoid the city. It is because of a high crime level and presence of trouble making Colombians. I don't want to be in stress again (well, I haven't really managed to relax since the beginning of my trip). I changed my plans and I am heading to Canoa on the west coast of Ecuador. I took a bus from Quito to Chone this morning: 350 km ride in the mountains, 7 hours, 6 pounds. We arrived in Chone at 8 pm and it appeared that the next bus to Canoa leaves at 5 am. I was lucky to have met Boris. He comes from Montañita in Ecuador and he is travelling to Canoa for his brother's birthday. I am already invited to the party :) We will spend a night in a hotel in Chone (2 pounds for a single room).

The bus from Quito was extremely comfortable and there was no air conditioning which made this trip really pleasant. Why in other countries they try to freeze you to death on buses??
In the picture view from the bus: vulcan Cotopaxi (5897 meters) - so beautiful...

Yesterday Fabian and I watched film called "Pecados de mi padre" (sins of my father). It is a biography of a Colombian Pablo Escobar, the biggest cocaine trader in the world who was killed by the police on the 2nd of December 1993. His family still has to hide in Buenos Aires as they are on mafia's list to be "eliminated". Great film.