Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ecuadorian wedding

We arrived in Fabian parents house at 11 am so I had the chance to meet his family before the wedding. The wedding itself was very formal - Fabian doesn't like anything formal so he wasn't looking forward to the ceremony, which took place in a small and beautiful church. To be honest, the wedding was no different than those I went to in Poland, Italy or England. I was a little bit disappointed for this reason :)
Fabian is very sceptical about the marriage - the couple have known each other for less than a year and he said that his sister is very spoilt. She even wanted to call off the wedding few days ago because she had an argument with Fernando (her husband now).
People from Quito look different than Colombians. They remind me of Venezuelans - many of them are tall and well dressed. Many Ecuadorians look indigenous, they have beautiful dark faces.
After spending three months in Cali where everything felt surreal and unrealistic, I feel I have come back to a "normal" world, to the world I am familiar with.
Fabian's family is well off (so consequently I am observing Quito from the wealthy side). They have many rules how to behave and always try to keep up appearances, however they are very nice people. I was waiting for everyone to get drunk at the wedding to see their real faces. They indeed relaxed later in the evening but I was surprised that nobody got very drunk (so different from weddings in Poland or England !).

I always carry a notebook with me to write down details which I don't want to forget. This is what I wrote yesterday at the wedding, when I was a little bit drunk:
-Here I am - sitting at the wedding table and writing. What can I say... the people are lovely, the food was excellent, the music is ok but nothing special, the dancing partners are enthusiastic but they don't have the rythm at all. "Oh my god, it is not Cali" - I whispered into Fabian's ear with disappointment, after few dances with some guys. He gave me a big glass of ron and coke and said "This is the solution for your problem". After few glasses I realised that he was right...-
The wedding finished at 8 pm, so early! - we came back home with Fabian's cousin and we got completely drunk (how can you say "no" to Cuban ron??..).
In the picture: at the wedding with Fabian (in the grey suit) and his friends.

My observation: the Ecuadorian accent is very different than Colombian - it is much easier to understand. In Ecuador they use a lot the word "guapo/a" which I didn't hear much in Colombia.