Sunday, July 25, 2010

Paragliding in Colombia

Javier from Couch Surfing organised a paragliding day for a group of six people, it cost 25 pounds per person for about 30 minutes in the air. Javier drove us to a place called Hacienda El Paradiso in Las Hermosas (Valle del Cauca), about one hour from Cali (36 kilometers). It is apparently the most romantic place in Colombia as a very famous romantic novel was written about the place. The novel is called La Maria, by Jorge Isaac.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Hermosas_National_Natural_Park
Our instructor gave us a lift on his motorbike higher in the mountain and then we travelled by a jeep almost to the top of the mountain. I volunteered to paraglide first as other people seemed to be scared. Somehow I was not scared at all I have to say. I would be if I had to do it on my own but with a (very good looking) instructor I had no fear at all :) The paragliding itself was a great experience, the view was astonishing and it was kind of a roller coaster feeling as the wind was very strong at times (I love roller coasters).
In the evening we walked down to a very stylish and beautiful hostel where we had a meal. The view from the hostel over the Cauca valley was outstanding, we waited until sunset to see the lights of the nearby town Palmira and Cali.

When I came back home I was very tired but Yeimmy, an amazingly beautiful Colombian girl phoned me and asked if I would like to go out. We went to a boring German party (never again European parties in Colombia!!) but I enjoyed talking to Yeimmy a lot (about boyfriends of course, and life in general). At one point I got so bored and tired that I immediately took taxi home.
Here is a video of the paragliding:
Paragliding in Colombia