Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I had a wonderful day and a lot of fun last night!! Cali is incredible, I have never experienced anything like this before... people love salsa and the clubs are outstanding.
I woke up at 8 am yesterday because I wanted to take part in an organised trip to the mountains. I met Wilber and others in front of the hostel where he works, called Jovitas. We spent 5 hours in the mountains, we stopped by two different waterfalls and had a dip in the cold water (I got leeches all over...). Then it started raining heavily (when we were on the top of the mountain) so going down was a nightmare. We had a lunch at a farmer's house and we waited there for a couple of hours, until it stopped raining. But even in the rain we had fun, although it was really dangerous to climb up and down the slippery rocks. I just remembered what Geraldo from Porto Seguro told me: you have to survive South America for your father, you are everything for him; and I managed to finish the trip unharmed.
Today I am going to buy proper shoes for climbing as it looks like we will repeat the trip soon.

At night I met Wilber and Terrie from Australia. This time I put my camera in my knickers on the way from the bus stop to the hostel, it was quite uncomfortable to walk I have to admit.
We went dancing to an amazing place outside of the city called Las Brisas (in the picture). It was a restaurant and to sit down at the table you had to order ron or aguardiente (no beer or soft drinks) so we ordered a bottle of ron. Then I was given aguardiente and then some guys from the club bought another bottle of ron for us. I don't remember when the last time I was so drunk. At 2 am we went to another salsa place called VIP in somebody's car. I don't know where it was, I just remember that it was another excellent club with many great dancers. I could hardly stand so my dancing partners had to carry me through the songs (ha ha ha...). Luckily Wilber was there to take control of the situation, although he was drunk too. Terrie found a big black boyfriend and she was chatting to him most of the time.
We left the club at 5 am when three guys started to fight who was going to dance with me. At this point I had enough and I said "let's go". We all left and Wilber made sure that I got home and that I went to my (well, in reality his) bed ha ha ha....
I finally found out the name of the sexiest instrument in the world, used a lot in Colombian salsa. It is called cowbell (as simple as that...).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbell_(instrument)

Later today I am seeing a room which I may rent and I am meeting a teacher who will access my level of Spanish and who will suggest how it can be improved. Tomorrow I am going to a human rights organisation to ask if I can work as a volunteer for them.