Friday, July 16, 2010

On Wednesday morning I went to a DAS office (Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad) to get information how to extend my tourist visa. I was given a form to fill in and a list of required documents. I also have to pay 25 pounds for the extension, unfortunately they give you a stamp only for a month so you have to come back the next month and pay again.... This is strange (it is not only me who thinks this, I spoke to few people who were in the same situation) because backpackers invest a lot of money in the country. They pay for hostels, rented rooms, salsa classes and clubs in Cali, and they still have to pay a lot of money for a new visa.
You also need to show DAS an onward flight ticket as a proof that you are leaving the country. In the DAS office they advised me to make a reservation in a travel agency and cancel it once my visa is extended... ha ha ha... advice from a DAS office... I went to three travel agencies yesterday but they wanted me to pay straight away for a reservation. Therefore... Wilfred introduced me to a friend who has his own travel agency and he made a fake flight reservation for me. Last night in a salsa club I met a German guy who told me that he put his personal details on a German airline website (so everything was written in German), copied the page with all the flight details, pasted it into Word, printed it and he gave it to DAS as his reservation.
I went to the DAS office this morning. They accepted my documents but I have to come back next Friday to pick up my passport with the new visa.