Thursday, July 8, 2010

I got stressed yesterday morning and even more in the evening. I was travelling by bus to San Antonio, where I am renting a room in a Colombian family house. I got off the bus and I was crossing a bridge with my rucksack and other bags when I heard loud shouting (again....). I looked down. It was a middle-aged woman lying on the pavement and pressing her bag to her chest. There was a man with a gun trying to get the bag and holding the gun by her head. I froze.... everyone froze and nobody tried to help the woman as the guy had gun. The saga lasted for about one minute... the whole minute!! Eventually the mugger managed to get a mobile phone from her bag, he shot in the air to warn people not to chase him and he run away. The woman was in shock, she got up and started walking without shoes. Many people approached her and asked if she was ok (well, as much as she could be...). I felt horrible. My Brazilian experience is coming back in Cali. I felt from the beginning that it is a dangerous city but until something happens you just think; now I have a proof. I got to Wilber's hostel and I told everyone what had happened just ten meters away. Funnily Wilber told me that the area was usually safe... but where was the police???? The bloody police???? And I wonder what would have happened if I was closer to the scene... Would I try to help the woman while the man kept the gun by her head? Probably not, I would just watch like others... But I think if I had a gun, I would have shot the guy without any hesitation...
I was lying in my bed at night and thinking - will all the horrible experiences in South America affect me much and will I need councelling when I am back in London?....

I live in San Antonio now which is a historical centre of Cali (the house and my room in the picture) with a 50-year old Colombian couple and their 22-year old daughter. I pay 53 pounds per month. I could pay 7 pounds less but the first time in my life I am not bothered and I don't want to waste my time on looking for a room. The family doesn't speak a word of English which is excellent for me and they seem to be nice and talkative. The area is beautiful but... what I saw yesterday made me think more about my safety (well, I said it many times before, didn't I?).