Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This morning I got very scared. I woke up at 10 am, dressed up and suddenly I heard screaming, as if somebody was being killed... horrible shouting of many people. I got very stressed. My first thought was to get to the kitchen and grab a knife to protect myself. My second thought was to jump through the window. Eventually I run to the screaming people and it appeared that Wilber's nephew fell down the stairs and he hit his head on the floor. It could have been fatal but the boy was all right and smiling five minutes later. These Colombian people, they can shout.... They know how to make children but they don't know how to look after them. I am sorry to say this as Wilber's family is really lovely.

Yesterday I went to a Couch Surfing meeting in a coffee shop in Unicentro (a big shopping centre in the south part of the city). It was an English conversation meetup so I was very welcome as otherwise they would speak Spanish all the time.
The people I met were nice, educated and polite. There was also a girl from Korea. She is travelling in the world on her own (1,5 years) and she told us some interesting facts about the political conflict between North and South Korea.
I confessed that I had been very unhappy at the beginning of my stay in Cali because I didn't like the city. They admitted that a lot of social work and vital improvement is needed in numerous districts here. They said that there are nice places in the city too, which they will show me later. In the picture with some of the Couch Surfers.

I will have my first Spanish class tomorrow. The teacher I met yesterday seems to be professional and very nice. He will charge me 5 pounds for an hour of Spanish grammar. I want just grammar as I talk to many local people and they teach me the right (Colombian) pronunciation and many new words.