Wednesday, July 21, 2010

San Antonio district is like a village - people know each other and everyone gossips. I hate gossiping but somehow people feel very comfortable talking to me about others and complaining. I am trying very hard not to become like them because when you hang out with the same people all the time, you start to copy their behaviour. In London you simply don't have time for gossiping or maybe I am just lucky to have friends who don't gossip too much (or gossip in a positive way).

I celebrated Colombian Independence Day in Parque de las Banderas (where previously I watched the World Cup final) with the Couch Surfing people, in the picture. I really like this group. I have met a lot of CS groups in the last six months but I have never seen one that would be so bond and committed. Yesterday we spent a lot of time together watching a concert of salsa and pacific music. The Pacific Region is one of the five regions in Colombia and it covers the area near the Pacific Ocean.
Then we went to a cholado place and we were sitting on the pavement until late, talking and laughing (cholado is a cold beverage common in Colombia, made of crushed ice, fruit, condensated milk and cream. Cali is famous for the excellent cholado).
A very interesting thing I noticed was that nobody was using mobile phones. Wonderful.... Phone calls cost a lot of money so people don't use phones often, we usually talk through the CS website. It is so different from Europe where technology took over and people speak more time on the phone than to each other.