Monday, July 26, 2010

Tomorrow I will start working for MIRA, a well-known political organisation in Colombia. MIRA
I will be helping with a project to introduce reuse and recycle schemes in Cali, as recycling here is almost non-existent. I hope I will understand the project, they are doing a presentation for me tomorrow (in Spanish!!). I will also teach English in MIRA's office. It will be an intensive 3-day a week course of basic and intermediate English for about 20 people. This is a big challenge for me... explaining the grammar rules in Spanish... hmmm... I am wondering how I am going to do this....

There was 474th birthday of Cali yesterday, celebrated with many parties and processions in the streets (the picture was taken from the terrace of my house).
In the evening I met David, we were invited by some people from Australia and Norway to their flat. We had a great time and I learnt many interesting things about Australia, for example that it is very difficult to bring something into the country as there are strict rules at the airports. You can't bring food, drinks, wood, seeds and you must have a certificate that your shoes were cleaned (disinfected) by a professional shoe cleaner. This is because the country is scared of any kind of contamination which would kill its people and animals, and the same it would cost millions of dollars. Very wise I think.