Friday, July 23, 2010

My observation is that some Colombian people lack logical thinking skills. It is a national thing, like for Polish people it is hard working and not much planning and discussing work, just doing it. For English people it is less work but a lot of planning and talking through one's hat (a nice English expression). Of course Colombians are lovely people but they lack the logic. For example: I have a friend who could be a Spanish teacher. There are many backpackers in San Antonio looking for a teacher. My friend is nice, responsible, good looking and has a lot of free time on his hands so I suppose he doesn't work much. He always explains to us why you say something in Spanish this way and not another. I asked him why he doesn't teach and he wasn't sure why. For me it is like seeing money lying in the streets and not picking it up. I have another friend. She wants to rent one room in her house but the room is unfurnished. There are many backpackers in San Antonio looking for a room to rent, and obviously they didn't pack their beds in the rucksacks, they need something to sleep on. I asked my friend why she doesn't invest money in a bed and rent the room to a foreigner (it is always more profit than renting it to a local). She wasn't sure why.... There is another friend who gives his motorbike to a garage when it breaks down and he never asks what was wrong with it when he picks it up ha ha ha.....

On the other hand, I love Colombians for their money saving skills (well, they have to have them to survive). When I say I don't want to go somewhere because it is 1 pound more expensive than I think it should be, nobody looks at me like at a crazy person, which always happens in London...

Regarding the politics, there is a serious problem between Venezuela and Colombia at the moment (well, it has always been, but now it got really bad). Chavez is very upset with Colombia as the country doesn't do what he wants it to do...
http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/10956-chavez-kicks-out-diplomats-and-stops-trade.html

I went to the DAS office this morning and I got a new tourist visa which will expire on the 21st of August. Then I will decide if I want to stay one more month here or to move on. To be honest I am happy in Cali, despite the fact that it is ugly and I don't feel secure. My face looks glowing as the result of a lot of dancing and I don't feel tired. I cook dinners, eat healthy food and I have many friends here. The trip I have done in the last six months was amazing, moving from one city to another, week by week. But it was incredibly tiring too.