Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Today is my last day in Fortaleza. Tomorrow is my first day in The Jungle.
I am flying Fortaleza - Santarem, distance: 1,801 km, 5 hours on the plane, cost: 105 pounds.
To be honest I am preparing myself for the worst, especially on the boat from Santarem to Manaus.
Plan A: be awake all day and night to make sure that everything is ok with the boat and that it doesn't sink.
Plan B: if the boat starts sinking, make a quick exit to the Amazon river and swim to the shore (should be successful if the crocodiles are not too hungry).
Plan C: if the boat doesn't sink but a snake drops from a tree on your head or crawls into your hammock, be calm and wait until it goes away (hard to do but apparently it is the best option). If a tarantula appeares somewhere near you, again - be calm, calm, calm - don't shout, don't loose your mind, don't jump off the boat.
Plac D: if you see another crazy backpacker on the boat, introduce yourself and be friends during these three days (the more in the group the better).
I am kind of sad leaving Fortaleza, I have been here for the whole three weeks. I made friends, did a lot of dancing (could be more but it was kind of sufficient to keep me contented), went to some events and beaches. I had great time with Adriana, we had a lot of interesting and meaningful conversations.
There is no internet on the boat and apparently the general conditions are not too good either. Lovely.