Thursday, April 15, 2010

In Canoa Quebrada

Today  I went to Canoa Quebrada beach (it was a must to visit this very famous beach :)). I booked the tour through Raphael (my previous host who has his own travel company). We left Fortaleza at 7 am (o god, I had to wake up at 6.15 am...) as the beach is far away, 160 km south from Fortaleza. There were only couples on the minibus and I... usual stuff. As soon as we arrived a hundred of waiters from overpriced restaurants jumped towards me to take an order, but I just left my bag in a locker and I went for a very long walk. On the way back I could hear some hissing coming from a bar, meaning that somebody tried to attract my attention. I ignored it but the hissing became louder and louder. So I turned my head and.... I saw my American friend Jaime who I met in Rio de Janeiro. I couldn't believe it... What a great surprise!! The last time I saw him in Rio on the last day of the carnival. He said then: see you somewhere in the north of Brazil. Of course I thought I would never see him again, and he suddenly appeared today in Canoa Quebrada :) I already have his picture in my blog, in Rio de Janeiro section (the guy with the crystal balls :)). I also met Jaime's friend from Israel, Roy, who he met while travelling.
We had lunch and then a walk on the beach. I had a great time with the guys and the beach is amazing indeed, there are red sand dunes and you can have a ride in a buggy, an old car I drove once in Porto Seguro.
In the picture with Jamie, in front of the symbol of Canoa Quebrada (and no, it is not a Turkish flag :)).
Yesterday I had a long conversation with Adriana about the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes in July 2005, right after the terrorist attacks in London. I admitted that it was a horrible mistake and it should not have happened but Adriana (and the whole Brazil I suppose) think that he was killed because he was Brazilian.