Saturday, April 3, 2010

I had a very interesting day yesterday. Firstly, I had a Good Friday's dinner with the whole family (some of the family members in the picture). By the way, Happy Easter to all my friends!! - I hope you are having a great time hiking, sleeping, watching TV, dancing or doing nothing :)
Secondly, I chatted for a long time to a tango teacher who found my profile on the Couch Surfing website several weeks ago (my dance curriculum was what attracted his attention of course). He contacted me and invited out so we are meeting today. There is a big forro' party and the tango teacher (Heber) is very good at dancing so there is a hope that I am going to have a good exercise this night.
Thirdly, Rorix invited me to an Easter party outside of the city. When we arrived there I understood that everyone was drunk, there were many children running around and I was generally disappointed as it was more a family meeting than a party. However, the people were wonderful, nobody spoke English but we managed to communicate ("no, I don't want more beer" is what I speak in Portugese best as I have to repeat it constantly and insistently on many occasions). Rorix drank too much beer and cachaça and he was not able to drive so he gave me his car keys and I drove all the way back. There were many police patrols on the road so it was too risky for him to drive. I didn't have my driving licence on me but he said that this was not a problem, the police would ignore it but if they found a drunk driver then this would be a big problem. So I drove... I love driving so much and I miss it so much!! And I miss my yellow Matiz I had sold a week before I left to South America.... I can't wait when I am back in London and I can buy a new car :)
After the "party" we went to see Rorix's friends. They live in a very poor and dangerous part of the city (in a favela) but if you have a friend in this district, nobody will touch you. You can see immediately the poverty - there are dirty children running everywhere without any supervision. O my god, Brazil needs so much education!! - so people don't have millions of children, the country is not overpopulated, there are jobs for everyone and less crime.... Rorix's friends were wonderful and they even spoke some English. They were very interested to know about my dancing, especially lambada, so my eyes were shining when I was talking about the lambada club I go to in London and about Porto Seguro.
One of the guys went to A-HA concert (the group has its final concerts in many Brazilian cities now, before retiring) and he recorded it, so we watched the concert. I always loved A-HA.