Thursday, February 18, 2010

In Trancoso

The bus I took from Rio was extremely comfortable, I was really surprised. I read in a guide that the long distance buses are very good in this country but this exeeded my expectatations (20 hours, 65 pounds). There was a lot of space between seats and in five seconds you could transform the seat into a very comfortable bed. Nobody was sitting next to me. People told me that it is very cold on the buses so I took out all my winter clothes but instead the temperature was perfect and I slept like a baby. I just woke up once at night and I noticed a 10-year old boy sleeping next to me, we looked at each other, smiled and when I woke up in the morning he wasn't on the bus any more. I also met two girls from England (Devon) and we hung out in Porto Seguro for a while, when we arrived.
It appeared that my host João lives in Trancoso, 50 minutes by bus from Porto Seguro (37 km) so I took another bus and arrived here. He is a very nice guy but he doesn't speak any English!! (we exchanged few emails in English and I knew that his English was not good but when I arrived he decided to speak Portugese only) so I have to use my Spanish to communicate :) Luckily I started learning it a year ago :))
João's brother is dancing in the most famous in the world lambada kaoma video, so popular in the late 80s and early 90s, in the video dancing with a Japanese girl, Paola. Incredibile, first I met a guy from "City of God", now a dancer from the lambada kaoma video... :))
Apparently kaoma originated right here, in Trancoso and Porto Seguro (wow!!! - João told me the story how it all started, in Portugese of course :)) and then the group dancing kaoma moved to France and became popular in the whole world. So good to know the story....