Monday, February 22, 2010

In Porto Seguro

Something very very nice and very very scary happened to me yesterday.
In the afternoon I told my host João that I am leaving for Porto Seguro. I took the bus, then ferry and I phoned Geraldo who I met at the lambada party. We were going to just have a drink. He picked me up in a car with a lambada zouk teacher (a real teacher, not like the one I met two days before) and he said that instead of staying in a hostel I could stay in his flat. He is not a Couch Surfer so it was very nice of him... he lives with three other people in a very beautiful and secure house with swimming pool and sauna (who uses sauna here??). We were watching DVDs of lambada zouk for an hour and then we went to a lambada street party in Arraial d'Ajuda, a nearby town.
We arrived there on a motorbike, I put on my dancing shoes and started dancing with one guy. Ten minutes later people started shouting and running in one direction, breaking glasses and everything what was on their way... I got confused, the lambada music suddenly stopped. Then I understood - I saw a motorcycle with two men on it, the second man had a gun. He shot one man and was trying to shoot another one in a white t-shirt, running in front of me. He didn't manage to shoot him and drove away. Geraldo told me to get on the motorbike immediately, as all other people did. He said that it was very possible that some gang members return home, take guns and would come back to the scene to shoot more.
There was no trace of the police... I couldn't believe it. Geraldo told me that the police was sent to a different parts of the region during the carnival so now they don't work at all and rest after the carnival.
Somebody stole Geraldo's watch during the escape.
When we went to a 24-hour shop to buy something, it was closed because there was no police and it was too dangerous to open the shop all the night.
I am so sorry for the people living here, they just got used to situations like this as you can get used to a war for example or anything else, if you don't have any choice.
The whole shooting situation was like a slap in my face, I finally understood that I don't live in Anna's beautiful house in Crystal Palace in London any more, I live in a jungle now.