Sunday, October 24, 2010

In the morning I did some visiting, then I came back home, slept a couple of hours and in the evening I bought a city tour and I also booked transport to Machu Picchu (I am going tomorrow). It is all expensive here, if you want to come to Cusco or MP, you have to empty your pockets.
At night I met William from Couch Surfing and we went for a walk (in the picture). William is a history teacher and he told me a lot of very interesting (and scary) stories about Sendero Luminoso, a communist "mafia" group from the 80's. His own brother belonged to the organisation and when it was terminated, he spent few years in prison. William's father, who was also a history teacher, was robbed many times by Sendero at home because as a teacher he was getting money from the government. Sendero didn't like people who were getting money from the government. William was very happy to tell me all these stories. He said that it has never happened to him before that somebody wanted to know so much about an ordinary person from Cusco (all the travellers ask only about Incas...).