Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My host Abraham picked me up from the bus station at 1 am. In his house I met the whole family: his mother, two sisters, two brothers, their children and a very weird looking dog. The family is lovely, talkative and helpful. The house is very basic and it is cold in it. Well, it is cold in Trujillo now.
Today Abraham showed me the town centre (in the picture Plaza de Armas) which is very small. I would say that Trujillo is not especially attractive but it is very hmmm... Peruvian.
I found out that I had fake 100 Peruvian soles (23 pounds). I either took it out of the bank cash machine or the taxi driver at the border swapped it when I was paying him, and he took the real money (although I was very careful !!). I also found out that I had fake 20 dollars (13 pounds) from Ecuador, when I wanted to exchange it here..... This made me feel like I had enough of South America and sadly, I stopped trusting anyone. In the morning I asked Abraham to hide my passport in his room as my room is easy to access. When we came back from the town centre, I asked him to give me the passport back. I felt sorry because he knew the reason... I carry my passport with me now.
What I don't like is that he expects me to pay for everything. He asks me to "lend" him money for lunch, coffee and everything else. I hate it. I always buy my hosts something to say thank you but it has never happened before that they wanted me to pay all the time.