Sunday, October 17, 2010

Today I went with Marco to a food market for a lunch. Than I went to the historic centre again to take more pictures. I visited China Town which was not as big as I thought, considering the size of Chinese community in Lima. The Barrio Chino is very nice however I didn't like bank adverts hanging off the street lamps.
Regarding the safety situation in Lima, well.... I feel safe. I was told that there are no men running around with guns like in Brazil, Venezuela or Colombia but the crime here is different. There are many well-skilled muggers and a lot of people are masters of cheating, to get money from you. I just kept my handbag close to me all the time. At least I knew it was unlikely that somebody would put a gun to my head again. In many places there are also security guards with scary looking dogs, which makes you feel safe.
What I don't like is that so many men urinate in the streets; no wonder the smell is terrible in some places.
At night I went to the Circuito Magico del Agua again (in the picture: Fuente de la Armonia - harmony fountain). I love this place. This time the fountains were "dancing" to different kinds of music, with 3D projections on the water.
There is so much good energy in the fountains park. You can walk inside some fountains with no water. Suddenly, the water splashes from all directions, and you get wet. It is a lot of fun; people get happy, they laugh, shout trying to run away from the water and you feel that this place is magic.
I talked with Marco and his brother about Colombia today, apparently people here call Uribe Vellez (the ex-president) Uribe balas (almost the same pronunciation but balas means: bullets). Why? It is all explained in my "Colombia" section.