Saturday, October 2, 2010

In Manta

Distance Canoa - Manta: around 150 km (I can't find the right number online). It took 5 hours to travel: by bus from Canoa to San Vicente (17 km), by boat to get through the river Chone to Bahia city and by bus again to Manta. Total cost: 3 pounds. I arrived in Manta, found a nice hotel and I negotiated the price of a room to 4 pounds (ha ha ha.. I like numbers..).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta
Bahia is a nice, clean and safe town where everyone knows each other and they all seem to be happy (this was my impression in one hour I spent in the town).
We drove through San Clemente town. I think that in years to come it will be travellers main attraction, with beautiful beaches and amazing nature.
The people in small towns and villages in Ecuador seem to be honest, very respectful and very shy. They rarely look in my eyes or they look at me when I don't look at them and when I suddenly look at them, they quickly look somewhere else.
Manta is a nice and clean city but I would say it is not necessary to visit it. It is relaxing but it doesn't have a historic centre - the centre is a road with a lot of bars and restaurants where I went last night. There was a lot of good salsa music coming out of the bars but nobody was dancing (how was it possible??). The beach is located by a port - something I don't like very much.

At the moment I have a lot of time for myself. I don't dance but I don't mind, I know I will be dancing a lot soon (either in Buenos Aires, Cali, Porto Seguro or in the worst case in London). For this reason I don't get frustrated as I used to do at the beginning of my trip. I am focusing on describing my thoughts, feelings and experiences. As I told Fabian before I left Quito "I have to sort out my head". It is the perfect time and a perfect country to do it, the first time in my whole trip.