Thursday, August 12, 2010

The festival of Pacific music has commenced in Cali, in Plaza de Toros where corrida events take place in December. Pacific region is located by the Pacific Ocean and it is inhabited by a large black community. This is result of the history - in the past it was easy to transport slaves by boat from Africa to the coast of Colombia. Not many of the slaves travelled to the cities like Medellin in the middle of the country as there is a range of mountains separating the coast from the city. Years ago it was difficult to travell through the mountains.
Pacific music is not my cup of tea. No, no, and no. However it was wonderful to watch my friends and other people enjoying themselves and being happy (with a bottle of a traditional Pacific liquor in their hands). I tried some regional alcohol and food. It was really nice and fresh, with no preservatives - this is something I will miss when I am back home. In the picture with Orlando from Couch Surfing.