Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On Sunday afternoon there was a small salsa concert and a show right by my house in Loma de la Cruz. I met with Isabel from Cali and Severyn from Switzerland, and we spent a couple of hours at the concert (in the picture). It was nice but not spectacular. As much as I like watching people dancing, I don't like when they pose and put on a fake smile. In lambada you don't do it, even during shows.
Yesterday I did my first salsa class in Cali. I was disappointed as I hoped to learn something new but I knew all the steps and moves so it was a waste of my time and money. I am looking for a private teacher now in hope that he can focus on my needs and teach me new steps.
Yesterday night we went to Las Brisas and Wilber lost my room keys which I asked him to put in his pocket before I started dancing. When we came back home he had to break the lock of my room. It was so loud that everyone woke up in fear that it was a robbery...
Well, I forgot to mention that there are many people living in the house. Aura, my landlady, with her boyfriend (I thought it was her husband), her 22-year old daughter with a boyfriend, a young Colombian guy who I don't see much (but he brought a prostitute home few days ago and the next day it was hell at home - Aura was shouting like crazy), two very weird Colombians whose work is to play serenates (so very often they listen to and play this horrible music, they also never say "good morning" or anything when they see you), and Wilber who was thrown out of the hostel where he works (and where he had a bed before) for "being noisy with a girl". Aura kindly agreed to rent him one of her rooms.
Aura and her family are very nice but there are many negative things happening too. For example lies. I understood that it is very common in Cali to lie. When I came to see the room, Aura told me that there were only three people living in the house although she knew there were six people. She lied to convince me to take the room. I don't regret taking it at all but I hate lies, even the small ones - they contribute to my opinion that there is negative energy in Cali. Another Colombian friend lied as well - I remember I was surprised when he was talking to somebody and lied, despite me being there and knowing the truth.

I started thinking about leaving Colombia. I haven't started doing the voluntary work yet because of bureaucracy and I am not sure if I can help the organisation before I leave the country... I am loosing my patience. I contacted an Italian friend of an Argentinian friend who lives in Ecuador and he told me that I could come and do voluntary work with him. So.... I am considering the options... deciding.... I may leave Cali but on the other hand I love the nightlife here.... it is the best in the world.... if I leave Cali I will not dance for a long time again... it makes my heart cry...