Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yesterday I went to the DAS office (Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad) and I renewed my tourist visa again. I am staying in Cali for another crazy month (oh my god, it is only four weeks!!). It was very easy to get the stamp in my passport the second time, you just pay 25 pounds and here you are. Intially I thought I could ask MIRA for a letter saying that I volunteer for them, to avoid the fee. However, it would probably take the director two weeks to sign the letter and me asking all the time if it is ready and people saying no, it's not. So I decided not to bother.
What I am going to do in my last month in Cali?
1. dance, dance and dance
2. learn Spanish
3. learn how to touch
Yes, learn how to touch. At the beginning of my stay in Cali I was complaining that people use too much physical contact with each other and that I felt uncomfortable. However, people in Europe don't know how to use the power of touch. I want to learn how not to be afraid to touch somebody's hand, arm, leg or kiss a stranger in the cheek.

This morning happened something that really surprised me. I went to MIRA to give the class and I wanted to copy a page from my book with a horoscope, which is an excellent excercise for learning adjectives. I asked a girl to copy it for me. Somebody else came back with my book and said that I couldn't use it in my class because people believe too much in zodiac signs and they should believe only in god. I was shocked and I argued for few minutes, asking how it is possible to prohibit reading horoscope because of the religion. At the end I gave up but I am definitely going to mention this subject again. Maybe at the church where I am invited on Sunday. I already made sure that everyone knows I have nothing to do with any kind of religion and that I am going there only for experience.
Here is a next batch of my pictures from Cali:
Cali 5