Wednesday, November 10, 2010

This morning Rosalia brought me a huge bowl of fruits for breakfast. I really want to believe that it is her generosity and she won't give me a bill at the end of my stay in her house. I am embarraced to have these thoughts but after visiting Peru you just have them.
We talked a lot again - she told me some stories from her childhood. She comes from a poor Peruvian family, her father is a carpenter who lost seven fingers at work. Her mother works very hard on land and in the kitchen. Rosalia never had expensive toys - the most precious ones were dolls made of bread.

Then I went to the historic centre (in the picture Plaza Murillo with the cathedral behind, residence of the president Evo Morales and the dreadful pigeons). I like and I don't like La Paz at the same time. It is like with Cali, I love and I hate it at the same time. I don't like La Paz because it is dirty, polluted, chaotic, grey and sad. I like it because the people seem to be extremely nice and polite, and they don't try to cheat you (well, it is my personal experience). For this reason I feel relaxed and I love to feel relaxed. La Paz also seems to be safe because nobody warns me to avoid some places, as it happened in other countries.
I am praying not to get any stomach bug (and not to go to a hospital again). The level of hygine is very scary.
Finally I got money from my insurance company for my stolen camera and today I have sent another form to claim the medical expenses from Cusco. I also went to a hairdresser (2.50 pounds for a Bolivian cut :)) and tomorrow I will be looking for a massage studio. I deserve to spoil myself in La Paz.
Just for comparison, prices from Copacabana and LP: dinner in Cop 15 bolivianos, in LP 7 bolivianos; internet in Cop 10 bolivianos, in LP 2 bolivianos.