Monday, November 22, 2010

In Santiago de Chile

Last night I took a bus to Santiago. Antofagasta - Santiago: 1360 km, 18 hours on the bus, cost: 23.50 pounds (in the picture: on the road).
The bus was comfortable and for the first time in ages I slept a lot on the bus. Chile as a well-developed country has good roads, unlike Bolivia or Peru where it was just impossible to sleep on buses because of bumpy roads.
A guy sitting next to me was coming back home from work in a mine in Calama. He was the most caring person I have met on a bus in my whole trip, making sure that I wasn't cold at night and that I felt comfortable all the time. In the morning he bought me coffee and biscuits. If he knew how much he contributed to my positive impression of Chile through these little actions.... In the morning we were talking a lot about earthquakes, politics and travelling.
I arrived in Santiago at 2 pm, left my rucksack in the station and I am visiting the city centre now. My Couch Surfing host is coming back from work at 7.30 pm. The first thing I noticed in Santiago was the temperature. It's as hot as I like it to be. Finally, after months of mixed weather and cold nights, it's very hot. Hurrrahhhh!!!....
My pictures from two towns in the north part of Chile:
San Pedro de Atacama and Calama