Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My host Carlos lives right in the centre of Santiago, in a beautiful building. His flat is on the 17th floor (wow, that's high!!). He said that during the scary earthquake in February this year he thought his life was going to end. Everything was shaking and living on the 17th floor made things even worse. His flat was swinging from one side to another, Carlos was holding onto a wall convinced that the building was going to collapse.
I would really like to experience a little earthquake, just a little one.... so I am waiting.
There is a drink called terremoto (earthquake). The story is that a German tourist asked for a glass of white wine in a bar. The wine came warm, not cold as white wine should be. So he asked for a scoop of pineaple ice-cream to make the wine cooler. After drinking it he said that there was a real terremoto in his head. Since then, terremoto has been a popular drink in Santiago. I think Chile is known in the world for these things:
1. earthquakes
2. wine (on the second place as for example Polish people don't drink much wine so they are more familiar with Chilean earthquakes than wine)
3. copper mines and the resent accident when miners were trapped underground for over 2 months

This afternoon I went to the city centre again. To be honest Santiago seems to be all shops, sqares and parks (in the picture - in Cerro Santa Lucia, a nice park on a hill with a view over the city). I don't think there are many tourists in Santiago and if they are it's not easy to see them, like in other cities. Maybe it's because Chile is expensive so people prefer to go to Peru or Bolivia. For this reason I am being hussled a lot by men.
I was upset to hear about the accident which happened last night - a bus hit truck on the motorway near Santiago, killing 19 people. I remember that my travel buddy, who was looking after me on the bus to Santiago, advised me not to travel with Tur Bus company because they have many accidents. Wow, he just said this yesterday and short time later this horrible accident happens.
Here are my pictures from Antofagasta:
Antofagasta