Saturday, November 6, 2010

The boat trip on Lake Titicaca was so relaxing... it was EXACTLY what I needed after the horror I went through.
Puno is a very nice lake town on the Peruvian side. The lake is huge (seems to be sea when you are on a boat) and it is the highest lake in the world, situated on the altitude of 3811 meters above the sea level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Titicaca
We visited two main islands: Uros and Taquile. Uros is amazing. It is artificially created by people, by putting together floating reeds so the whole island can be moved to another place, if needed. Taquile reminded me of Sicily, very beautiful but not much different than other islands in south of Europe.
The temperature changes a lot during the day. It is very warm in the afternoon and very cold at night.

Tomorrow I am leaving for Bolivia, to a town on the Bolivian side of Titicaca. Peru is very beautiful but what I don't like is that everything is about money and ripping off tourists, as never before in my trip.
I just would like to warn travellers: Couch Surfers in Peru have a lot of negative references, again - as never before in countries I visited. Please read the profiles carefully. I was extremely lucky with my hosts however on few occasions I wish I could have relaxed and trusted people more.
I have spent 330 pounds in almost a month in Peru. It includes travel between 5 cities, trip to Machu Picchu (69 pounds), 2 nights in a hotel (8 pounds), day boat trip on Titicaca (9 pounds), eating food in cheap restaurants all the time, internet, laundry, trip to Copacabana in Bolivia, 22 pounds gone as I was given fake money.