Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CHILE, In San Pedro de Atacama

I spent 143 pounds in 10 days in Bolivia. It included 3-day trip to the desert which cost 70 pounds, all the rest was very cheap. The country surprised me, before I came here I had a picture of Bolivia in my head: a poor rural mountain country... I found out there are salt flats, desert, islands, lagoons, beautiful capital and nice people. However, the country is far behind other South American countries in regards to hygene, communication, organisation and education. For example it is difficult to find fast internet connection in La Paz, or Skype. All the computers are old and dirty.
I feel I need a change now. After Peru and Bolivia I need a higher standard of life and apparently this is what Chile and Argentina can offer me.

Thomas and I left our wonderful jeep team and we took a bus to San Pedro de Atacama (in the picture). Surprisingly, the bus ticket was included in the price of the desert trip.
It took us 2 hours to get to San Pedro, a town in the middle of Atacama desert. When you cross the border, you are not allowed to carry coca leaves and fruits with you. If you do it, you will have problems with the police and you will be fined 200 dollars.
When we arrived in the town, we found a nice hotel. I started writing my blog and Thomas fell asleep. San Pedro is very small, there is nothing to do apart from many activities in the desert. We spent 3 days in the desert, driving miles on the sand from one place to another so we need to rest from the desert at the moment :)