Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In La Paz

Distance: Copacabana - La Paz: 155 km, 3.5 hours on the bus, cost: 2.30 pounds.
The nightlife in Copacabana is non-existent. The town is not prepared for tourists at all. Everything apart from three restaurants was closed early at night. Which was good for me - I had a really good rest in the beautiful room.
My bus to La Paz left at 2 pm (in the picture - waiting for the bus which was half an hour late). Right before I got on the bus, I realised I had no money left. Luckily I bought the bus ticket two days before. I went to the bank but it opens at 2.30 pm every day. There is no cash machine in the town so there was no way I could get the money out. I had nothing to eat and drink until I arrived in La Paz at 5.30 pm....
We had to cross Lake Titicaca to get to La Paz, travellers on one boat and the bus on a different boat. I went to the driver and told him I had no money at all (in which he probably didn't believe, he thought that a rich girl from Europe tried not to pay 15 pence for the boat trip). Eventually, when I showed him my empty wallet, he agreed to smuggle me on the bus.
When I arrived to La Paz I phoned my host. Well, first I found a cash machine, took money out and I bought a lot of food - I was so hungry... Then I phoned Rosalia. She is a sister of my host Antonio. He is not in the city at the moment so Rosalia was told to look after me. They live in their restaurant, I mean it is restaurant downstairs and they sleep in a very small space upstairs. I am going to share a room with Rosalia and her nephew. The restaurant and upstairs area are very basic and a little bit dirty but it doesn't matter to me. Rosalia is wonderful. We spent 4 hours talking when I arrived, she made sandwiches for me and gave me some food from the restaurant at night. Rosalia is 45 years old, she moved to La Paz seven years ago with her two brothers. They opened this vegetarian restaurant which I think is doing well. They are originally from Peru, from Arequipa which I visited. Rosalia was very interested to hear about Polish food and I am going to teach her few things, for example beetroot soup, which she could serve in her restaurant. She is in love at the moment, she met a guy just 4 months ago and now she is thinking about a child. She was told by a doctor (her brother) that it is not too late, she can still do it in the next couple of years. I also met Rosalia's sister in law. She is very shy with me, unlike her 11-year old son who is asking me all the time to say something in Polish, English or Italian :)