Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Yesterday I met William and his friend from Couch Surfing (in the picture). He phoned me as I left my phone number on the CS website (I am going to do it in all the places I will go to, this way I don't have to contact people, people will contact me :)). We had a difficult task to do: C&C's dog Hillary ate two pairs of my earplugs (and got sick afterwards) so I had to buy new ones. The pharmacies don't sell them, apparently Colombians sleep well so there is no need for earplugs in this country ha ha ha.... - difficult to believe though considering all the noisy parties they make. William made some phone calls to his friends to get information where to buy earplugs and eventually we found a shop with health and safety equipment, and I got the precious earplugs :)
Then, a few hours later, C&C's friend Alex phoned me and I found out that The Girls set up a date for me ha ha ha ha.... So I met Alex and we went to Rodadero, a very beautiful beach located 15 minutes from the centre of the town (but with hotels nearby, I prefer wild beaches like Trancoso in Brazil). We had a very relaxing swim at midnight, in the rain. It was very quiet and the water was completely transparent, I could see my feet in the water even at night.
This morning I talked to C&C about my next host in Santa Marta, Ingrid. The Girls seemed to be upset and they asked "are you not feeling good in our house?" - so I am not going to Ingrid's house, I am staying until the end (almost 2 weeks in total) with C&C. Then I asked if I could wash my clothes in the washing machine and I wanted to pay for it (because there are so many Couch Surfers in their house and they all wash their clothes). The Girls looked upset again that I wanted to pay so I am not going to talk about money any more.
This weekend all the discos (in England we call them clubs, "discos" for me sounds like a place for teenagers, with some funny disco music) will be closed. There are elections for a new president on Sunday and there is a risk that guerrilla may put bombs in the clubs. William gave me a long history lesson yesterday about the guerrilla, it is sooo interesting!!!!
The current president, Alvaro Uribe who has been in power for eight years now, did a lot of good things for the country. 
"......in May 2002, the former liberal politician of conservative leanings Álvaro Uribe, whose father had been killed by left-wing guerrillas, was sworn in as Colombian president. He immediately began taking action to crush the FARC, ELN, and AUC, including the employment of citizen informants to help the police and armed forces track down suspected members in all three armed groups....."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Armed_Forces_of_Colombia
Thanks to the president the country is safe now, much safer than Venezuela (ten years ago Venezuela was much safer than Colombia). There have been many kidnapping cases since 1985 but the president put a lot of criminals in prison and he reduced the drug trade. I was told that ten years ago I would not be able to travel by bus from one city to another, as I do it now.